BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Hebal Tea to Calm Agressive and Anxious Pets

As most of you know I have been on a herbal remedy expedition for awhile, ever since my ancestors said "go pick wild herbs" and I found that most of my favorite hoodoo and spell herbs grow wild where I live. Being well versed in the magical properties of herbs I set out to find out the medicinal uses as well. I have found some wonderful recipes and brews over the last few months.

One of the things in our house is, I'm a rescuer, I can't stand to let stray animals be strays. I always say I am going to find them a home but, well most of them are still here. Three dogs and a cat.

One of our dogs, Lilo, is a pug/lab mix and has always had jealousy issues. She is otherwise a very sweet and loving dog, good with kids good with neighbors, just jealous.  Lately her issues have been getting out of control to the point where she was frequently attacking one of the other dogs. Her and the cat would start war with each other. With those two I could never tell who started it. It was like children. I had to constantly carry a water gun or a squirt bottle.
Our chihuahua who has medical issues as it is has severe anxiety issues. Separation anxiety. When ever anyone picks up their  shoes without his lease he freaks out. He whines constantly, over everything. When we leave he will howl, cry and whine the entire time we are gone.
The other dog is just fine, no issues at all. The cat, well that's Legba's altar cat and bff, so she's nuts.

The constant fighting and whining I had finally had enough. So I looked up medications for anxious and aggressive dogs that I was going to talk the vet into giving them.
I found some very interesting articles on Herbal Preparations and even Bach's Rescue Remedy for Pet's.
I cross referenced the reciepes I found online with my Gale's Encyclopedia of Alternative Medication, the ASPCA website on harmful herbs for both cats and dogs and Catscans.com.

This is the recipe I came up with for a calmer happier animal kingdom I live in.

20 bags of Chamomile tea, cut open and poured into a mason jar. Or 2 cups dried Chamomile herb. Chamomile is a nerve calming, analgesic and pain tonic for animals. - Hoodoo properties, good luck.
10 bags of Lemon grass tea, or 1 cup dried Lemongrass herb. Calms aggression and anxiety. - Hoodoo, wards off evil and promotes luck.
1/2 cup Lavender, dried. Calms nerves. -Hoodoo, love and luck.
1/4 cup Rosemary, dried. Calms the mind and is an anti-oxidant for animals. - Hoodoo, peaceful home and protection.
Mix together real well by shaking the jar, allowing all the herbs to blend well.
While I did this I thought of no more fighting no more whining and gave it positive vibes.
I let it sit over night so I could call the vet and get the ok before giving it to them. Their vet is a German vet who works on the Army base and was more than happy to Ok my blend of herbs for the dogs. She even wanted me to email her the recipe.

Take 1/4 cup herbal mixture to 2 cups water, bring to a hard boil and allow to steep for 15-20 minutes. Strain the tea, or if you used a teaball remove it. Pour the tea into a pitcher and add water until you have 1/2 a gallon of solution.
For dogs that will not drink I use a small medicine syringe and give him 2 tablespoons a day for a 10 lb chihuahua. I may need to up that he still whines.

The vet said it is safe for a small to medium size dog to have a 6 oz cup a day and large dogs over 75 kilos 12 oz.
I started this a week ago today, mine drink a little here and there I leave a small bowl out.
Lilo and the cat will just go drink it when they feel like it, stitch has to be force fed.
I have had peaceful bliss ever since. No more dog fighting, no more jealousy, they share toys and even the crazy cat has stopped attacking the dog and vice versa.

Just thought I'd share my awesome discovery with y'all. But remember as with anything always check with your medical professional first before using.

0 comments: